This afternoon, I put an Angels decal on the rear window of my red Silverado. I figured I would name this vehicle because several of my friends have named their cars. So I named it Kingfish, not after Huey Long (Though I am a fan of that Kingfish as well), but Tim Salmon. Part of the reason I bought it was because it was red, like the Angels. That's the one I've told most people.
I've also always liked red pick-ups because it's what my late grandfather drove. I never got to know Papa (Pronounced "Paw-paw" and not "Pop-uh") that well because he died when I was five-years-old. Because I was so young, I don't have many memories of him, but I remember sitting in his truck when he would pick me up from pre-school in Hopewell. I don't like raisins, but he'd alway make me raisin bread toast with apple butter, cut up into four squares. I love apple butter, and I think of my grandfather whenever I eat it. At least a quarter of the times I eat apple butter, I tell anyone that will listen about my post-pre-school snack.
My grandfather was in the Army. The marker where he is buried lists his service during World War II and the Korean War. He was stationed in Minnesota, Virginia, and Puerto Rico. I believe he retired as a Sergeant First Class.
I always wonder how differently my life would have been if I had a few more years to develop with him in my life. Unfortunately, he was a smoker and died from cancer, so I'll never know, but I think I get my appreciation for red trucks from him.
No comments:
Post a Comment