I keep all two weeks' worth of music in my iTunes library on shuffle at almost all times. I find it strange that I will hear some songs daily, and others I have not listened to since the summer of 2008. One song that I hear often is "Winter Winds" by Mumford and Sons. I enjoy Mumford and Sons, and hipster-sympathizing women like that I enjoy them as well. Unfortunately, because hipster-sympathizing women enjoy Mumford and Sons, they are a band that is popular amongst hipsters. They fall into the increasingly hip genre of music that focuses on folksy sounds because electricity is too mainstream.
When I heard "Winter Winds" earlier, it reminded me of one of the more pretentious encounters with hipsterdom I have had in my life. THankfully, it was not an encounter with a physically present person, but a radio station in Illinois about fifteen miles from St. Louis, Missouri. It was a college radio station of some sort and I was surprised to hear the song come on my radio. I listened to it as I ate my fast food lunch. This non-mainstream sogn ironically mixed very well with my McNuggets. All ten pieces of them. The song ended and the disc jockey spoke, and that was what pissed me off.
"You justheard 'Winter Winds' by Mumford and Sons," he said. "It is the latest track of emphasis, or, as the conformist crowd might say, single, off of their album Sigh No More."
Really?
Did he really just call it a track of emphasis because he is too cool for the word "Single?"
I was very excited immediately afterwards when a caller requested he play Pearl Jam.
Song of the day: "As Usual" by Polaris (Ironically, not "Winter Winds" by Mumford and Sons)
No comments:
Post a Comment